Right-hand pop up progress alerts

Talk about Sarah's upcoming game in the Rebuild series.

Re: Right-hand pop up progress alerts

Postby jaydedman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:11 am

I find most of them are "useless" because none link to real action.

Orphyron did a good job breaking down the different kind of alerts:
Reports - Mission results that are info only, no action required (resources found, Scouted, zombies killed, non-mission buildings reclaimed)

Opportunities - Things that require a menu action to gain benefit (backstories, equipping new items) or character assignment (tech researched, mission building reclaimed)

Warnings - bad things that might happen

My issue is that currently they are all just "reports". Very few are useful to me. I know when I've fixed up a house because my guy changes status. I know when I've scavenged a building because my scavenger jumps back into the fort. I know when Ive successfully recruited because a new person has shown up. But I understand it's good to have a place where this is reported.

I desperately want "opportunities" to be added. If I find a gun, let me click on this alert and equip the gun. If a character has a perk, let me click on that alert to read the backstory to choose the perk. If a scientist has finished researching, let me click this alert to assign the scientist to a new research a technology. Why make us dig for these actions? Clickable Opportunities make the right hand sidebar useful.

I'm on the fence about "Warnings". Might be nice to have it tell me when I'm close to starving. But as someone else said, this is really just the gameplay. This is isn't important to me.

When Relationships get added to the gameplay, I dont know how this will affect things. But maybe you could have an alert that says "Jim is getting really angry at George. There's going to be a problem soon." Then I can click this alert to separate these two in different groups. Or add a character that's skilled in communication? Hard to say till we see what Sarah adds.
jaydedman

Postby davea » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:30 pm

jaydedman wrote:I know when I've fixed up a house because my guy changes status. I know when I've scavenged a building because my scavenger jumps back into the fort. I know when Ive successfully recruited because a new person has shown up.
How do you know these things? Do you memorize the names of all the survivors and mentally diff to find the new one? Have you never overlooked the return of a scout because several missions finished at once? This is why I find the right side alerts helpful. I must admit I prefer the logbook format of R2. Today in R3, the turn based format where the logbook makes sense, is basically unplayable.
davea

Postby jaydedman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:28 pm

Understood. Yes, the current alerts are the only way you can make sure you know what's happening if you aren't keeping track. And I agree that they are awful when playing Turn Based mode. The alerts remain on the screen until you dismiss them, or they are pushed off the screen. They should reset at the end of each turn.

If I play turn based, I wish we could have the log book at the end of each turn. No right hand updates.

If you play Real Time, then the right hand alerts make sense.

I think the Real Time vs Turn Base discussion needs to come up again. It seems we're trying to merge two kinds of games into one. I feel Sarah should choose which kind of game she enjoys and then just tailor the stats to that kind of gameplay.
jaydedman

Postby Ophryon » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:55 pm

davea wrote:I think the concept of the right side alerts, in a scrolling panel, is much better than having a full dialog box pop up the instant the mission finishes. Popping up dialog boxes is a lot more intrusive: what if the player already has some other panel up, and is reading it? Or what if multiple events finish at the same time? It would be annoying if I was reading one recruit dialog, and then another one popped up on top of it. If you suggest a "queue" to manage these popups, then I guess that is exactly the purpose served by the scrolling panel.

Are we talking about the same thing? I was referring to the open-book dialogue that says "We found a soldier and his brother hiding in the ruins...(or whatever)" and then gives you the option to link to their character pages. It's in the same format as any other event ("illness strikes", "Little Hobo", etc.) so it could easily be treated as one. I believe the game already knows how to handle multiple events: time is stopped while you're dealing with one, so there would be no way for one to pop up on top of what you're doing. You would hit Done and move on to the next one. No visible queue needed.

I've never had a good reason to leave the recruitment alerts hanging there so I can access them later. If I use them, it's immediate, so the automatic event would serve just as well. Sometimes I access new characters directly from the map, bypassing the recruitment alert. Eventually two or three of those recruitment alerts are hanging there, wiggling for my attention, becoming even more useless because I don't know which ones refer to the characters I've already seen. I then have to waste time and clicks clearing them, which opens the recruit event anyway. Doing away with the recruit alerts and automatically opening the recruit event would be more efficient, because it's only one click to close it.
Ophryon

Previous

Return to Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville