Suggestion: Accumulated Campaign Perks

Talk about Sarah's upcoming game in the Rebuild series.

Suggestion: Accumulated Campaign Perks

Postby Llapgochmaster » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Okay, firstly I apologize for the abundance of suggestions. This is squarely Sarah's fault, however, for telling us that "nothing is written in stone".

On the topic of trying to increase the replayability and diversity of game experiences in Rebuild 3, I was wondering whether the player could "carry over" more than just a core crew of colonists from map to map. If the player was also to accumulate some special items and/or perks (achievements, really) during the course of the campaign, that would present the player with some meta-challenges. Examples:

1. Each time you finish a map via the "we're outta here" option (RV, aircraft, helicopter, etc.) you get a -5% to the mission distance danger penalty.
2. Each time you finish a map via the "form a local government" option you get a +5% to diplomatic negotiations
3. Each time you finish a map via the "whoop that ass" option you get a -5% to soldier skill improvement time

The main goal here is to have the player's strategy on the new maps in part informed by their strategy on old maps, leading to more replayability. Trying for a "total charmer victory" with all diplomacy wins could be quite tricky given a particularly bellicose map, causing the player to have to dig a little deeper into their bag of tricks than otherwise. Trying to "whoop all that ass" would be similarly a challenge to execute on every map.
Llapgochmaster

Re: Suggestion: Accumulated Campaign Perks

Postby davea » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:18 pm

That is an interesting idea, but I would try it in the reverse direction. You have suggested that if a player wins by method X, then in the next game, they get a bonus to X. In other words, the next game is even easier to win by their favorite method. This seems to get players stuck in a rut. It's harder to try something different.

Another possibility would be to make method X harder, to force a different win. I am not sure players would view this as "fair" either. It would have to be something a little more subtle than a +% to some stat. For example, if a player wins by diplomacy, the next game should have fewer factions. If they won by researching tech, the next game should have fewer lab spaces available. These are some ideas, there could be more.

I think it's worthwhile to encourage different approaches rather than making the preferred approach easier.
davea

Postby Llapgochmaster » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:59 pm

davea wrote:That is an interesting idea, but I would try it in the reverse direction. You have suggested that if a player wins by method X, then in the next game, they get a bonus to X. In other words, the next game is even easier to win by their favorite method. This seems to get players stuck in a rut. It's harder to try something different.

Yeah, I agree! I'm not sure my idea would actually be more fun/replayable than no carry overs. Reverse carry-overs seem a bit cruel and illogical. "Oh, you guys are the ones that united the warring factions of Atlanta, bringing peace and prosperity to the city? Prepare to die!!!"

I've already tried to argue that carry-overs might make things fun by A) giving an incentive for players to try square pegs in round holes (instead of using tried-and-true strategies for each map type) and B) giving you a reason to play through again with a different set of carry-overs. Again, I'm not convinced myself that this would work out.
Llapgochmaster

Postby sarahnorthway » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:33 pm

Llapgochmaster wrote:Okay, firstly I apologize for the abundance of suggestions. This is squarely Sarah's fault, however, for telling us that "nothing is written in stone".

Haha it's true I asked for this! But I'm happy I did, because I love reading suggestions even at this point. I just wish I could spend forever and add all of them... maybe in updates after the launch date (hoping I hit that!).

Anyway this is a great idea. I'd planned to let you carry over main leader perks (and probably your "dream team"'s perks too), but I haven't decided what those perks should be. I like the idea of using it to drive the player to try a different play style and make the game a little harder all around. Hmm, but players might feel like I was ripping them off by making the main character worse over time. Maybe the perks are tradeoffs that come with some good along with the bad?

Or maybe they're all good, but you can only earn each perk once, and they're treated like achievements to trigger that "gotta catch em all" mentality and make you want to try a different strategy.
sarahnorthway
Site Admin

Postby Llapgochmaster » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:20 pm

On the face of it, I really like the idea of carry-overs just because they give a sense of continuity and accumulated baggage (both physical and emotional). I liked how my survivors became endearingly maimed and nicknamed in the previous buildings.

But yeah, gameplay-wise, it's tougher to figure out what will help fun/replay and what won't. But given that we've got some chances to try things out, maybe we could put together a bunch of placeholder perks and then see how things play out in campaign mode? If all else fails, they could end up being mostly for flavour and they'd still be a worthwhile addition, IMHO.
Llapgochmaster

Postby Chah » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:18 pm

In Rebuild 2, it's interesting that it was almost like a campaign: you need to win in one of the easier modes to get 5 characters with perfect skill stats, then carry them over to Impossible mode. I'm playing the Mobile version now and I feel it might have been fun to have even more steps involved. For example, maybe you can only take one Survivor to the next town the first time, but each time you win a game, the number of Survivors you can take to the next game increases by 1. You gradually accumulate Survivors until you're ready to tackle Impossible.

Maybe the carryover perks for Rebuild 3 can be something like this:
- Every time you activate "go to the next city" from a Heliport, you start each map afterwards with 8 extra squares already scouted.
- Every time you activate "go to the next city" from a Lab after researching the cure to Zombieism, you get an anti-zombie serum gun which is a weapon that can be carried over to each map afterwards.
- Every time you activate "go to the next city" from a City Hall after drafting a constitution, you get an extra survivor (with low skills) in each map you start afterwards.
So these perks can be accumulated, but don't necessarily lead to winning the same way every map.
It would be neat if each city had a different set of win-cons (one city has a heliport and a city hall, another has a giant graveyard and a heliport, etc.), and you had a degree of freedom in choosing which city to tackle first in order to gain a particular perk so that you can overcome a particularly difficult city using that perk.
Chah

Postby Llapgochmaster » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:05 pm

Chah wrote:Maybe the carryover perks for Rebuild 3 can be something like this:
- Every time you activate "go to the next city" from a Heliport, you start each map afterwards with 8 extra squares already scouted.
- Every time you activate "go to the next city" from a Lab after researching the cure to Zombieism, you get an anti-zombie serum gun which is a weapon that can be carried over to each map afterwards.
- Every time you activate "go to the next city" from a City Hall after drafting a constitution, you get an extra survivor (with low skills) in each map you start afterwards.
So these perks can be accumulated, but don't necessarily lead to winning the same way every map.
It would be neat if each city had a different set of win-cons (one city has a heliport and a city hall, another has a giant graveyard and a heliport, etc.), and you had a degree of freedom in choosing which city to tackle first in order to gain a particular perk so that you can overcome a particularly difficult city using that perk.

Nice. I like these better than my 5% bonuses. The "cure for zombieism" map victory may no longer be with us, as it's rather final to fit into campaign mode. Just speculating.

I guess we'll see how the campaign mode hangs together. Will we be assembling the shards of a crystal to reconstruct an ancient artifact (so to speak) or will we be merely surviving until we can get to a safe haven?
Llapgochmaster

Postby Panpiper » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:20 pm

The "cure for zombieism" map victory is perfect for the final campaign map, assuming there will be a final map.
Panpiper

Return to Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville