Town Types

Talk about Sarah's upcoming game in the Rebuild series.

Town Types

Postby Chah » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:12 am

In another thread, I suggested that there should be different town types, each offering a different play style. I'm assuming that's already part of the plan with town policies.

But I also hope that technology bonuses can be tweaked to differentiate each town's survival strategy.
My feedback as a player in Rebuild 1 and 2 is that the each tech seemed to have about the same degree of usefulness in each playthrough, and I ended up researching the same tech in about the same order in every game.
I also felt the tech didn't go as far as constituting the backbone of different playstyles.

Here's some questions I think would be fruitful to discuss:

1) In previous Rebuilds, what did you like to research first? Did the usefulness of certain tech vary based on the situation?

2) What factors caused your towns to play differently from game to game?

3) How can existing tech bonuses be adjusted so that they actually represent different survival strategies for a town? Are there any variations or forks in strategies you think could exist if some tweak was made?
Chah

Re: Town Types

Postby Llapgochmaster » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:18 pm

I'd have to go back and play a game of Rebuild 2, I think, to refresh my memory as to the specifics. But yeah, games tended to be pretty self-similar. The feature of Rebuild 2 that really shook things up for me was the seasons. That genuinely required a different strategy. But only one! I mainly got replay value out of it by varying the difficulty and map size.

I think with all the new elements inbound (factions, bigger tech tree, more varied landscapes) there's a good chance that there will be viable alternative strategies to victory. But we'll have to play it to see! I think predicting these things can be very hard once they reach a certain threshold of complexity. Part of the balancing process will likely be tweaking game mechanics so that there isn't one uber-strategy that wins every map.
Llapgochmaster

Postby jaydedman » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:07 pm

I hope that the different variations that we havent seen yet change the gameplay.

In Rebuild 2, I played the same every time (because it worked). Research fertilizer, preservation, etc as soon as possible, so my existing plots all produced maximum food. Once I didn't have to worry about scavenging, then I just focused on zombie clearing and territory. I found that the other tech really didn't make much a difference...except for Electricity because then everyone had 90% happiness.

The strategy of researching the Gun Turrent Towers took too long to really be helpful. Once I actually learned hot to build them, I had already taken over much of the territory.

But I do like the idea that once you start researching a certain tech, it locks you into the a certain gameplay. You can get Gun Turrents quickly, but then you're always hard up for food. Or you can learn how to Preserve Food, but then you're pretty weak against the zombies. Each choice makes you become more resourceful.
jaydedman

Postby Chah » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:57 am

I'm glad to hear that someone else is playing Rebuild in a different way than me. It could be due to the differences between versions (I mostly played a lot of Rebuild 1 and a little of Rebuild 2 on Kongregate, and I haven't played the mobile version yet) but if there are strategic directions out there that I could have taken but just didn't notice, that's awesome. Which makes me think there should be ways for the game to nudge the player towards different directions each game (without dictating what the player should do).
Chah

Return to Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville