Getting Nitpicky

Talk about Sarah's upcoming game in the Rebuild series.

Re: Getting Nitpicky

Postby Ophryon » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:33 am

You're right, a percent increase to total capacity increase makes soooo much more sense than my +1. I forget that survivors aren't assigned specific living quarters. Although it would make for interesting politics if they could. Who gets to live in the Apartment and who gets stuck in the shanty? :)
Ophryon

Postby Llapgochmaster » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Ophryon wrote:Although it would make for interesting politics if they could. Who gets to live in the Apartment and who gets stuck in the shanty?

Sounds like an event waiting to be written! Game could make a reasonable guess at who is where...

Preconditions: owning a shanty town and a high-end housing square.
Event: "Georgia Nguyen just set fire to her bed in front of the police station to call attention to our de facto policy of sticking new colonists in the shanty towns and old-timers in our nicest digs".

A) buy peace (food, materials)
B) oppress (morale hit to all recent arrivals)
C) shuffle people around (moral boost to recent arrivals, morale penalty to old-timers leading to possible "that was the last straw" event)

The long term solution would be to upgrade the housing (if upgraded housing is a thing). Otherwise just keep moral in general high enough that even the slum-dwellers are lovin' life.
Llapgochmaster

Postby Chah » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:17 am

Llapgochmaster wrote:I'm in favour of anything of this nature that can heterogenize the game board and make colony planning more exciting and strategic.

I'm not sure about the implementation, but I agree that the game is exciting when each square is very different, and you can plan your way across the board like a puzzle.
Chah

Postby Chah » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:26 am

I'm not sure whether micromanaging housing is a good idea or not, but I do think it would be fun if the first thing you do after recruiting new people is to assign them a house to live in.

Like, "You're a religious type? Why don't you move in with Jay and Karen in the trailer park. You'll get along fine"
(Maybe there's a choice to assign a random house to save time if you don't care.)

When Relationships are implemented, it could matter who they share houses with.
It would allow relationships to develop outside of their usual mission teams.
Chah

Postby Will It Work » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 am

Chah wrote:Like, "You're a religious type? Why don't you move in with Jay and Karen in the trailer park. You'll get along fine"

For that matter, once backgrounds get fleshed out, would they like it if their house was close (≤2 blocks) to a church? I like the idea, but it seems like fractal complication.
Will It Work

Postby Chah » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:07 pm

Will It Work wrote:
Chah wrote:Like, "You're a religious type? Why don't you move in with Jay and Karen in the trailer park. You'll get along fine"

For that matter, once backgrounds get fleshed out, would they like it if their house was close (≤2 blocks) to a church? I like the idea, but it seems like fractal complication.

You're right, I shouldn't have included "religious types" in my example. I'm not sure having personality categories like that would work.

The main point I wanted to make though was that while constantly micromanaging housing assignment might be tedious, just assigning housing to newcomers once, when they first arrive, has a fun feel to it.

By the way, I like the idea of Churches adding value to the happiness of nearby residents.

I've been thinking that squares should be influenced by what is near that square, to make the element of picking your path of expansion across the map even more interesting than it is now.
Chah

Postby Chah » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm not sure there should be personality types (for the relationships system, etc.) that try to describe who that person is (a Nerd, a Jock, an Outsider, etc.) because it might be grossly oversimplifying people.

But it would be neat to have characters' preferences such as people who like Churches and people who like Bars, without necessarily specifying what kind of personality type that implies. That would mesh with the game system pretty well.
Chah

Postby Will It Work » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Chah wrote:But it would be neat to have characters' preferences such as people who like Churches and people who like Bars, without necessarily specifying what kind of personality type that implies. That would mesh with the game system pretty well.

Well, right now there is a minimal family backgrounding, and there does seem to be some value in picking up sibs. Also the background quote bubbles are randomized, but that could tie in well. If I'm a frat boy or a hardcore scientist I'd probably like to be near a school.
Will It Work

Previous

Return to Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville