Alpha is up!

Talk about Sarah's upcoming game in the Rebuild series.

Alpha is up!

Postby sarahnorthway » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:33 am

The private alpha playtest has started!

For this first Alpha round I've invited Kickstarter backers tier $15 and up and those who preordered the deluxe $25 version of the game. With each new build, I'll be adding more people who applied to be a tester before October (applications are now closed, sorry!), and anyone whopreorders the deluxe version of the game (which you can still do at http://rebuildgame.com). When the game's ready for Beta, I'll open it up to all backers and pre-orderers and may do a Steam Early Access version.

Alpha testers: come on in and tell me what you like (or hate...*gulp*) about the new game. If you've played a lot of Rebuild 2/mobile, the new interface might take some getting used to, but I'm especially interested to hear what you think of it. This is a work in progress and nothing's set in stone yet, and version 0.41 has very little content so far. It is possible to win the game though, and I'll be watching the logs to see who makes it first. :)

- Sarah
sarahnorthway
Site Admin

Re: Alpha is up!

Postby usualfool » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:12 am

Officially stoked!
Attachments
Rebuild3Loading.jpg
Rebuild3Loading.jpg (50.27 KiB) Viewed 14868 times
usualfool

Postby ballmot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:53 pm

ballmot wrote:After playing for a while, the zombie attacks made me sad, they were better in rebuild 2!

I really miss the cutscenes... I hope that this gets changed in the final game.

I don't know why, but the cutscenes simply made rebuild 2 way better, even if you can't make them scary and gory, some simple animations would still be great.
ballmot

Postby Ophryon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for getting this out today, Sarah! Perfect timing for me to spend a lot of leisurely time with it. (No way am I braving Black Friday; I'd much rather face a zombie horde.)

Loving it so far. Are we supposed to be able to save our game? I tried, but I took a break to come make some comments and when I returned the Load command just gave me the three blank file spaces. I'm on a Mac playing in Firefox if that matters.

EDIT: Confirmed, this is a problem with Firefox, or perhaps how I have it configured. I switched to Safari, which allowed the game data to be saved.
Last edited by Ophryon on Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ophryon

Postby ballmot » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:26 pm

Just found a funny bug, the "tech tree" page says: "Coming Soon"

but i can still mess with anything on the page! (Not sure if that changes anything in the gameplay tho, probably not)

ballmot

Postby ShaneWegner » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:58 am

Did you see me win in the logs?!? Was I first!? FIRST.

I have two micro-requests in the UI vein.

1- When teams go into zed territory on missions, when they return to the Fort, could they return to one of the CLOSEST free points to enemy territory in the Fort? It takes a bit of work to go grab them when my team of 10 soldiers goes zipping back deep into the safe farm country far from the Front every time they finish a mission. I'd much rather they return to the Front for re-assignment quickly. (Gameplay-wise- I feel a little guilty assigning these guys to mission after mission. I wouldn't mind if they had a Fatigue level that slowly crept up, which could be cured by resting or Bartending or something. But in the meantime I'll take their 24/7 dedication to smashing zombies.)

2- Map overlays. I'd love it if I could turn on a yellow bar graph coming out of each house that still has Materials left in it to forage. (Vice clicking on them one at a time to remind myself or trying to memorize.) Somebody is drawing that down on a notebook or something. Make there a Cartography special skill to unlock this if you must. ; -)
ShaneWegner

Bonuses for Enclosing Zed Space

Postby ShaneWegner » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:07 pm

Got my next wish on my wishlist: Bonuses for Enclosing Zed Space. My thinking is if you build for all the way around zed space, you should get some kind of bonus for the trapped sapce. The idea is we have completely encircled the Zeds inside. Idea one- when enclosed, all trapped zed spaces immediately become Fort spaces. (The idea being that the Reclaimers go on a purifying spree and wipe them out.) That might be a little too good. Second idea is that an enclosed space gets a special Final Stand mission for the zombies in it. Maybe a special triangle icon with the zombies looking a little sad. Beat that stack and all enclosed spaces are yours? (They cheer and push down the inner fences.) Yet another idea would be that instead of having usual tile growth rates, enclosed tile growth falls to zero or goes negative. (As zombies wear themselves out and expire.) When all tiles are zero, all spaces are reclaimed for free. (They just push down the fences to the now safe areas, no need to build more.)

The idea for zombies is probably that outside our walls, they are constantly reinforcing their numbers from outlying suburbs and cities, attracted to the shiny lights and bbbrrraains. Maybe enclosed zombies can tell by pheremones that there are no new zombies joining them and mass for one last chance to infect the living.

Gameplay wise, I think this would be fun because it would add some Go-like rewards for enclosing territory. It's riskier as your "arms" extend into Zed territory, the longer the arms the more risk. (Maybe you could make an algorithm to increase pressure on arms the more surface area they have), but when you pull it off, the rewards are commensurate with the risk.
ShaneWegner

Postby Llapgochmaster » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:29 am

Huh! Just wanted to chime in and say that I think an enclosed-space dynamic would be rather handy, realistic, and easy to toss in. Not that this thread is probably the right place to fire away with suggestions...
Llapgochmaster

Postby davea » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:38 am

Is it possible to lock the announcement thread so that suggestions will go into the forum instead of on the announcement?
davea

Postby Kollamma » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:32 pm

Never got my invite =(

Sadface!
Kollamma

Next

Return to Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville