German Translation Project

Talk about Sarah's upcoming game in the Rebuild series.

German Translation Project

Postby Translation Dude » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:08 am

Hi,

I've noticed you cannot translate a specific English string (it may be hardcoded), since it's nowhere among the provided English text strings.

It's about the result message you get while doing scavenging.
You can get two types of message, one about resources and the other one about an equpiable item.

In the translation pack you can only find this one:
Code: Select all
scavengeEquipment_title = Found {1}

which translates scavenged equipment stuff.

You can't translate though things like
Found Material
Found Food

It's obviously an oversight. Would you be kindly adding a corresponding line in order to make this string customizable?
I was trying it with something along the lines of "scavengeResources_title", but, as expected, did not work.

I hope you can fix this soon to allow me make a clean translation.

Kind Regards
Translation Dude
Last edited by Translation Dude on Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Translation Dude

Re: Bugs found while translating the game

Postby Translation Dude » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:41 am

I managed to fix it by extracting the current version's english_template.properties where I found some missing lines from the 2015's template files:
Code: Select all
label_scavengeResource = Found {1}
label_scavengeFood = Found Food
label_scavengeNothing = Found Nothing

---

Now there's a completely different issue I want to address.
How to make the square name representation dynamic? There are rules for quite anything but squares.

This is especially important in German, as there are many different "the" articles, where it depends on the grammatical case the sentence uses for the decision which one is right.

Example
We lost the surbs. => Wir haben die Wohnsiedlung verloren.
We lost the police station. => Wir haben das Polizeirevier verloren.

A relatively easy solution for the needed flexibility would be to add a string that could be pasted as [squareWithThe] or alike. (similar to the factions with [factionNoThe])

If this issue won't be addressed, ALL sentences related to squares (combat and various events) will most likely have to be rewritten in a non-narrative style (which I want to avoid as much as possible).
Translation Dude

Postby Translation Dude » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:08 am

Also there are gender-wise (male/female/neutral) differentiations urgently necessary for square references to form the right "our", "his" and so on.

Currently you have to rewrite the event text in an (static/boring) anonymous form and put behind the concrete square into parantheses for the player to know, as right now you can't have a detailed text in German grammatically correct due to the lack of dynamical wording.
Translation Dude

Postby sarahnorthway » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:06 pm

The "Found Materials" etc is buried in the label section for some reason (sorry):

label_scavengeResource = Found {1}
label_scavengeFood = Found Food
label_scavengeNothing = Found Nothing

And yeah... gendered objects are a known issue for buildings ([square]) as well as the more rare "{1}" which could be equipment or (in the example above) resources. I could be convinced to add gendering for squares. I could let you make your own custom rules for squares, like:

square_police_name = police station
rule_square_police_withThe = das Polizeirevier
rule_square_police_cuteName = cop shop
rule_square_police_ownership = das
rule_square_police_XXXXX = whatever

And you'd use them like:

Wir haben [square_withThe] verloren.
Wir haben [square_ownership] [square] verloren.
I visited the [square_cuteName] which I always find to be quite [square_XXXXX].

But those {1} ones are much trickier since there's no existing tag system for them. Luckily they're rare so you can hopefully get away with awkwardly putting the name of the item in parenthesis once in awhile eg:

[He] lost [his] equipment ({1}).
becomes
She lost her equipment (Flamethrower).
sarahnorthway
Site Admin

Postby Translation Dude » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:53 am

Thanks for the response.

I'll prep the text lines according to that upcoming rule scheme then.

---

Some more questions:

1)
Is it possible for the Steam Workshop to add the ability to set up a title screen for mods? Don't know if you checked it sometime, but that mods overview over there looks kinda lame and cheap without that. Would be looking more fresh and attracting, if people could include one.

2)
All those MissionXXX_action (i.e. MissionPostGuard_action) text lines are being capitalized through the whole sentence.

It looks awkward with non-noun words (like articles) being capitalized. https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 11BB02A35/
Could you remove the forced capitalization so that the game just takes it the way the author has wrote?

3)
Do the tips from the startup loading screen already have got localization lines for language modders? Couldn't find any.

Kind Regards
Translation Dude

Postby Translation Dude » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:04 am

Can you add the rule scheme or the like to the [missioning] tag as well? This one doesn't fit in event texts so well on its own, too.
Translation Dude

Postby Translation Dude » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:51 am

By the way, it would be nice to be able to display the time in 24h format for non-English languages.

I suggest implementing it either as a toggle in the in-game options or as a new ini setting in the mod file.
Translation Dude

Re: German Translation Project

Postby Translation Dude » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:20 am

Any info on when the next Rebuild version is getting out? Would like to use the mentioned additional square rules which are supposed to be added and make sure the text is showing right.
Translation Dude

Return to Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville