[Revisit] Different Food Types

Talk about Sarah's upcoming game in the Rebuild series.

[Revisit] Different Food Types

Postby TheBrickMan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:39 pm

As the title of this post implies, this topic is to suggest differing food types, each with different perks and values in trading or general happiness. When civilizations form, they tend to look beyond necessity and look towards luxuries, and I feel that adding in Fish, Meat, Preserves and Produce would add a lot to the immersion value of the game.

The basic idea would be that Meat, which comes from mammals and birds, would only be obtainable via hunting in parks/fields, or by being fortunate enough to obtain pig farms (or by trading with the Pig Farmers, etc.) and would be about thrice the value of produce, due to it's rarity and the fact that most survivors in a post-apocalyptic America are most likely missing Meat a LOT.

Produce would be the easiest to obtain, and therefore maintain the original value of food. Ordinary farms would provide this. Not much else to say.

Preserves would definitely be a big one; because they are preserves, they could only be found in two ways; by scavenging or by researching the technology to properly seal containers and then assigning a survivor to do so in either a workshop or a residence (the basic process of preservation is that you cook whatever you're preserving in vinegar and then seal it inside an airtight container).

Fish would, obviously, be obtained via Fishing missions. This would add more value to rivers than just protection.

I would hope that this could get some evaluation; because once the player's fort is filled with farms, hunting and fishing are completely unnecessary. There's no benefit to doing either of those missions, and scavenging also falls under this due to the fact that you can just trade the massive amounts of food you generate for limited quantities of other resources and equipment.
TheBrickMan

Re: [Revisit] Different Food Types

Postby Objection » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:12 pm

I like the idea of different food types from different sources.

Minor suggestion: rather than having specific food types giving a happiness bonus (like I first thought you were doing with meat before I realised I misread), maybe having decent amounts of multiple food types provides a bonus to happiness. The greater the variety represented, the greater the boost.
Objection

Postby TheBrickMan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:20 am

Well, I *did* provide some suggestions for perks based around that before, in which the survivor's happiness would be affected by whether or not there was meat available; something to provide challenge for the player. After all, morale can be cut pretty deep when someone doesn't get what they want, right? And after all, if people are going to gripe and moan about having to share resources evenly, then imagine how much people are going to be frustrated at the idea of not being able to have a succulent turkey leg for the evening!

The only real logistical problems I can see arising with this is how Ms. Northway would be able to implement the consumption priorities (who will eat what over anything else, etc.) and how it'd be balanced.

In the end, however, I can see this providing a lot more depth to the gameplay and a lot more immersion value; the longer the player is immersed, the more likely they are to play the game and tell their friends about it.
TheBrickMan

Postby Objection » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:48 am

TheBrickMan wrote:The only real logistical problems I can see arising with this is how Ms. Northway would be able to implement the consumption priorities (who will eat what over anything else, etc.) and how it'd be balanced.

I was just thinking about this the other day. There's a game I've been playing about dragons that has different varieties of food. The way consumption priorities are handled is that each species of dragon has a list of food types that it will eat. It might just be one food type like meat, or it might be all of them, or just some of them. If there's enough food of all types, the dragons will only eat their first choice. If not, then those dragons with fewer choices get priority on their first choice. So if you have one species that eats meat and another that eats meat and plants and you don't have enough meat to feed both, the first one will eat however much meat it needs and the second one will eat whatever meat is left plus enough plants to make up the deficit.

I'm thinking that entire system (replacing dragons with survivors, species with individual and the other game's food types with your suggested food types) might be too complicated for Rebuild, whether for Sarah to implement or for players to get the hang of in addition to everything else they need to get the hang of. Perhaps a simpler version might work though.
Objection

Return to Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville